Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sleepy Bear Learns About Early Writing!

Hi Book Buddies,

I’m sitting by the pool at Francesca’s house in San Diego. Francesca is Kathleen’s friend.

I’m reading a book called CODE BREAKERS. So far I have learned about codes and ciphers. Codes replace words or numbers for something else. A cipher is the part that unscrambles the code. I had to read this part a few times. It’s very tricky to understand. There are lots of new vocabulary words. But I’m getting it!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Today I’m reading about the different kinds of early writing.

For example, pictographs used pictures of objects to tell a message. Cuneiform is a type of writing that used pictographs.

Hieroglyphs used symbols for a sound or a syllable or an object.

My brain is full! I’m going to take a break and surprise Moosey-Moose with some gelato! But I’ll be back. I hope you like learning about early writing and codes as much as I do.

Maybe I’ll write a message in code and you can decipher it! That sounds like fun.

Your Book Buddy,

Sleepy Bear

No comments: