Thursday, December 30, 2010

Sleepy Bear Goes to the Bathhouse Theater

Hi Theater Buddies,

Sitting in Theater

I didn’t know how much I missed going to the theater to watch live performances until I went today.  It’s been a long time since I went the last time.  I had a really good seat again, too. 

Group On Stage

Today, kids in third, fourth, and fifth grade performed scenes from THE LIGHTENING THIEF.  That’s the book by Rick Riordan.  Have you read it? 

 

The story is about kids who are part human and part Greek gods.  I haven’t read the book but my reading and writing teacher, Kathleen, has a student who read the book so she learned all about the story from her student and then Kathleen shared with me.

Entire Cast

The cast of kids in the show chose their favorite chapters in the book.  Then they chose the most important parts and wrote a two page script.  They also did their own staging. 

That means they decided where they needed to be on the stage when they read their lines. It sounds like a lot of hard work, and I bet it was.  But they did a super job! 

Tomorrow I’m going to the theater again to watch SWEENEY TODD.  The older kids are performing in that show.

If you want to act on stage you should ask your parents to visit the Seattle Public Theater website.  They have classes for kids my age and older.   It’s a great way to get experience in the theater!  Here’s the link:  http://seattlepublictheater.org/education-programs.htm

Check back tomorrow and I’ll tell you all about SWEENEY TODD. 

Bye for now,

Sleepy Bear

No comments: