Monday, October 25, 2010

Sleepy Bear Visits The Wizard of Oz Rehearsal at Seattle Public Theater

Hi Friends,

As you know I'm blogging about my visits to the Seattle Public Theater Youth Programs. Right now the 3rd and 4th graders are rehearsing THE WIZARD OF OZ. They will share their performance with their family in another two weeks!

I thought I would read the book, THE WIZARD OF OZ. It's fun to compare and contrast the book with the show on the stage. Oh, in case you don't remember what 'compare' and 'contrast' mean, I'll tell you. Compare means how things are the same and contrast means how things are different. I'll tell you more after I read a few pages of the book.

But first, I want to introduce you to my new friend. Meet Lucius. He is the Wizard in the show. I talked to him about auditioning. He said he had to learn some choreography and read some lines. He's done this before so he wasn't nervous. Lucius also told me that acting is lots of fun! I can tell by watching Lucius during rehearsal that he's having a great time.
If you're thinking about signing up for one of the youth programs at the Seattle Public Theater, I'll tell you what to expect at the audition. First, you might have to read some dialogue. That's when you pretend you are a character in a play and read the lines with a group of kids. You don't get to practice at home first. That's the tricky part! Or you might need to read a monologue. That's when you read a paragraph of words for one character, all by yourself. And guess what? You don't get to practice that one at home either. But, everyone at Seattle Public Theater is super nice and they will help you if you get stuck or maybe if you get nervous. Just think about all the fun you can have!!
I'm going to make myself a cup of hot chocolate with whippy cream and read THE WIZARD OF OZ. Be sure to check back when I tell you what I learn about compare and contrast.
Your friend,
Sleepy Bear

No comments: