Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Sleepy Bear Brushes Up On His Shakespeare!

Hi Friends,

Yesterday I got to visit another rehearsal for a show put on by the Youth Program and the Seattle Public Theater. This one is called ZOMBIE CAESAR. It's a Shakespeare play that has been changed a little bit so now it's a Halloween play, too. The cast is a group of kids in 5th through 8th grade. And they are really good! But, I have to warn you, it's a little bit scary and a little bit grown-up for kids my age. It would be perfect for an older brother or sister to enjoy.

Here's a picture of two cast members in costume. Wow! They're just a little bit older than me. Oh, and everyone was "off script" for the entire rehearsal. Sometimes the Assistant Stage Manager, Augustine, would tell them their lines if they forgot.

This is another cast member performing his monologue. Do you remember what that is?
I have a couple of questions for the cast members, so maybe they can write to me with their answers. My first question is, why was everyone talking English but it sounded different? Is it very hard to learn how to talk that way?

This is me with Kynna, the Lighting Designer. She also has a student helper. Her name is Erica. They have a very complicated job to do. They have to make sure the actors have just the right amount of light shining on them so the audience can see them and to create a mood on stage.
I hope the cast members write back to me. I also hope they share what it's like to be in a show on a stage.
Their first performance is on Friday. Check out the website for the Seattle Public Theater for more info. http://seattlepublictheater.org
If you want to learn more about Shakespeare, here's one site you can visit: http://www.folger.edu/template.cfm?cid=588
Bye for now,
Sleepy Bear












No comments: