Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sleepy Bear Goes On An Odyssey

Hi Book Buddies,

I finished reading Book One from Tales From the Odyssey. The first book is called, The One-Eyed Giant. If that sounds scary to you, then you are not alone. I was scaredy the whole time I read the story! It is a good thing I was not reading at night time.

The story is about a character named Odysseus who goes to war to help save a Greek Queen named Helen of Troy. Helen was kidnapped. Odysseus did not want to go to war and leave his family behind, but he had no choice.

This story is also about Greek gods. They are mythical creatures with magical powers. Kathleen, my reading and writing teacher told me that I am very smart to learn about these characters now because then I will have a head start when I get to high school!

Back to the story. Odysseus asked Zeus, the god of the skies, and Poseidon, the god of the sea, to help him with a plan to rescue the Queen. His plan worked and finally Odysseus could go home.

But Odysseus had more dilemmas sailing home. He finally got super close but then his crew on his ship did something not very smart and their ship was blown all the way back to where it started.

Odysseus and his crew were captured by Polyphemus the son of Poseidon. Guess what? Polyphemus is a cyclopes! That is a monster with one eye. Well, Odysseus made Polyphemus mad and the other gods, too.

That is the end of the first book. Remember, this book has three books in one. I have two more to go. The next one is called, The Land of the Dead. That sounds scary again. I will wait until the sun is super bright today before I read.

I really like these stories. I am learning a lot and they are easy for me to read. Kathleen said they are very kid-friendly! I hope you write to me with questions about the Greek gods. You can quiz me on my comprehension skills!

Your Book Buddy,

Sleepy Bear

No comments: